Ambiance might not be something you’ve given much thought in the context of your shop, but it affects just about every decision most consumers make every day, from paying premium prices for coffee to which auto repair shop they visit. It is one of the elements that drives consumers to frequent one business over another, affects their mood, how much they spend, and how they feel about your service.
Why Creating an Awesome Ambiance is Important to Your Shop
Automotive repair shops are businesses with very specific functions, and creating ambiance is not always a top priority for most shop owners, even though it should be. The value many businesses have for consumers is in the ambiance as much as in the product or service, and that’s what drives them to experience super success. The right ambiance can soothe waiting customers, enhance customer experience, set you apart from other shops, and demonstrate that you go above and beyond to meet your customers’ needs.
How to Create the Perfect Ambiance
Creating the right ambiance is not as difficult as it sounds, when you start by thinking of your space from the customer’s perspective.
- Provide plenty of places to sit. Create arrangements that respect your customers’ need for space.
- Choose comfortable seating. If for some reason a customer must sit and wait longer than expected, comfortable seating can make a huge difference in how the customer feels about the wait.
- Make sure the décor is current and lends to the look and feel of your brand.
- Provide a variety of current magazines and the daily local paper.
- Use calm but upbeat music to provide a happy atmosphere.
- Provide a coffee and tea bar with snacks for waiting customers.
- Consider adding a television to the waiting area.
- Make sure the bathrooms are stocked, clean, and accessible.
- Adding a small play area for children goes a long way to giving stressed out parents some peace while they wait.
- Make sure your front desk is clean, organized, and that each customer receives a friendly greeting upon arrival.
Ambiance is not always a high priority in the automotive industry, but it could be the difference between being the average shop to being the shop of choice. Not only is ambiance important, it’s everything!